The Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America is one of the most successful and popular charity rides in the country and this year marks its 22nd anniversary.
From April 30 to May 6, 2016, former NASCAR driver and NBC Sports racing analyst Kyle Petty will lead 200 bikers on a 2,150-mile route traveling from Palm Springs, CA, to Biloxi, MS. The ride will raise funds and awareness for Victory Junction, a camp dedicated to providing life-changing camping experiences for children with chronic or life-threatening illnesses. Victory Junction was founded by the Petty family in honor of Kyle’s late son, Adam, who passed away in a NASCAR racing accident.
This year’s ride will feature several celebrity riders, including NASCAR Hall of Famer and seven-time champion Richard Petty, 2017 NASCAR Hall of Fame nominee Hershel McGriff, NASCAR legends Harry Gant and Donnie Allison, former NFL great Herschel Walker, retired Lieutenant Colonel Allen West, and NBC Sports NASCAR personalities Rick Allen and Rutledge Wood.
The trip follows a different route every year. The dates and itinerary for the 2016 journey are:
- Day 1, Saturday, April 30 – Palm Springs, CA to Phoenix, AZ
- Day 2, Sunday, May 1 – Phoenix, AZ to El Paso, TX
- Day 3, Monday, May 2 – El Paso, TX to Lajitas, TX
- Day 4, Tuesday, May 3 – Lajitas, TX to San Antonio, TX
- Day 5, Wednesday, May 4 – San Antonio, TX
- Day 6, Thursday, May 5 – San Antonio, TX to Beaumont, TX
- Day 7, Friday, May 6 – Beaumont, TX to Biloxi, MS
RoadRUNNER had the chance to speak with Mr. Petty about the history of the ride:
For more information on the KPCR or to make a donation, visit www.kylepettycharityride.com or www.victoryjunction.org.
Tours, tankbag maps, tips, and more: subscribe to RoadRUNNER today!